Rid Yourself of Hangovers - The Natural Way!
A Hang over remedy that isn't just
Pedialyte and Advil.
Lets be honest, hangovers suck. For some more than others, and unfortunately I happen to be one of those people... Throughout the years I've tried almost every “hangover remedy” I could find. Most of them didn't work, but I did find useful tidbits here and there and ultimately comprised my own "Hangover Remedy" that works pretty darn good.
First off it is important to understand how and why we get hangovers in the first place. Don't worry, it will only take a few seconds to read this section and this knowledge helped me a lot! Hangovers happen due to a multitude of reasons, 2 of which I'm sure you already know.
- Burdening/inflammation of the liver
Other issues with excessive alcohol consumption are:
- Interference with cells, specifically with enabling detoxification and energy production. As well as interference with blood cell operations
Some say withdrawal is also an effect of hangovers, which may have some merit. But the only way to not have withdraw symptoms is to not consume, and that isn't what this article is about. Side note, the old “hair of the dog” method has been proven to only delay your hangover not alleviate it.
So lets get this one squared away real quick, as we know water is your friend, always has been and always will be. You should have a glass of water with every drink. If you can't do that, then have a glass of water every 2 drinks. Even if that is difficult, then chug as much water as possible after drinking.... Note, that not all water is created equal. Good quality spring water or mineral water is best, you want your water to have as much minerals as possible. In this circumstance, replenishing vitamins and minerals are very important because alcohol depletes us of them. This is one of the reasons why Pedialyte and Sports Drinks actually help. But I just rather not ingest Yellow 5 food coloring and a slue of other things I can't pronounce if I don't have to. If you are drinking filtered tap water a pinch of sea salt, squeeze of lemon, or trace mineral drops go a long way.
Filtered water removes a lot of the bad but also a lot of the good, always remember that!
Ok now I'm properly hydrated, so how do I take care of my liver, give my cells what it needs to produce energy and detoxify, and help my blood continue to function properly so it provides oxygen and nutrients to my body??
Here's how you do it:
Ideally take this protocol once before you start drinking, once before bed, and once in the morning when you wake up.
- Milk thistle – any decent brand will do, take the recommend dosage (usually 2 caps), Natural Factors has a good standardized one.
- NAC – N-Acetyl Cysteine – 1000 to 1200 mg – again, any reputable
you'd find at a good local health food store should do.
- Chlorella, Spirulina, and/or Wheatgrass - take recommended dosage, my favorite is Health Force Green Alchemy powder (fair warning though, its really green, I usually shake up a heaping tablespoon of that with a cup of 50/50 mix organic apple juice and water). Another option is sunfoods, they have a spriulina and chlorella tablet blend that works well if you can't get down the green drank. (But the Green Alchemy powder is leaps and bounds better, highly recommended).
Optional 4 & 5 (depending on how bad it is)
- Ginseng – I like Korean Panax Ginseng (packs the most boost).
- Vitamin B Stress Complex (which has vitamin C in it as well) – Soloray makes a good one and worse comes to worse an Emergen-C pack will do.
Important take aways!
- Drink vodka or gin, they have the least amount of congeners in them. Congeners are another toxin that is in alcohol, darker alcoholic beverages have higher amounts.
- A little caffeine or coffee in the morning is good, but only 1 cup and follow it up with some good water. Do not over do this...
If your interested in how and why this all works then here ya go:
Milk Thistle – supports the liver which is a big player in detoxification and metabolization of the alcohol. In addition to that, Milk Thistle is a great booster of Glutathione, boosting Glutathione allows your cells to work better by helping a comporised methylation cycle which alcohol hinders.
- NAC is one of the strongest anti-oxidants out there. Anti-oxidants are important for keep free radicals in check and not have the body go into toxicity. Additionally, NAC is a precursor to Glutathione, which again helps the methylation cycle do its thing which is mainly energy and detoxification. (It is thought to take NAC with food like meat or eggs because it has the other components which help with creating Glutathione)
- Chlorella, Spirulina, and Wheatgrass all have Chlorophyll, that's one of the main reasons this is part of the protocol. Chlorophyll is nearly identical molecularly to human blood (in essence it's plant blood). In addition helping restore proper function of blood cells, its loaded with a ton of other vitamins and minerals including B vitamins which are critical for methylation and replenishment of depleted compounds. Not to mention the countless other amazing benefits of this superfood algae. Stay away from isolated Chlorophyll due to copper toxicity, plus getting it from a whole foods source will also get all the other good nutrients its packed with.
That's it! Now you are equipped with the knowledge and tools to take any horrible hangover head on. Always remember to be safe when drinking and know that a little can go a long way. If you avoid excessive drinking in the long run, your body will thank you dearly.
Writer Bio: Tony Erzene - C.H.E.K Holistic Lifestyle Practitioner - I began my journey almost 10 years ago with healing myself from an advanced stage of Lyme's Disease through the use of nutrition, movement, and mindset. Through this I've found my purpose in helping others heal themselves by leading a healthy lifestyle. I believe if you put good in, you get good out.