[WARRIOR DIET!] Intermittent Fasting Diet Review/Experiment
If only my life sounded like an epic novel. But let's get to the nuts and bolts of this blog. You didn't click on this just to read about me in a book shop. You want to learn about my experience experimenting with the "warrior diet," and variations of intermittenet fasting. I started this experiment back in October. Now, four months later, I have seen the benefits and drawbacks of this form of eating. The warrior diet follows a few protocols that may seem unconventional for the average person.
Simple Warrior Diet Summary:
- Fast throughout the day eating small amounts of food only when hunger becomes uncomfortable.
- Eat one giant meal at the end of the day (mine was aimed around 4pm).
Majority of people get real skeptical of the idea of eating one meal a day. Especially when I try explaining it to them.
"Say whaaa homie? Nah man, you're crazy as hell I love food. I can't miss any meals..feel me?"
But there is some merit beind the madness of interminent fasting, or following the warrrior diet. A few things happen within the body during a fast:
- A detoxification process occurs within the body.
- A fat burning hormone called glucagon is increased (Hofmekler, Ori. Warrior Diet. Berkeley, CA: Blue Snake Books, 2007).
- The body’s enzyme pool is reloaded, which creates an anti-aging effect.
- The body utilizes the intake of protein better and avoids the process of glucogensis. This is where the body converts extra protein as glucose for fuel and stores it as fat.
- Lastly, which I think is the most important, insulin levels drop/stabilize and NHGH (natural human growth hormone) is increased.
*This is very important because NHGH is what helps the body repair itself.
It has been shown that simply reducing the intake of sugars and processed carbs for more than a few hours triggers a process called autophagy. Here, debris inside the cells are recycled into a form that the cells can use as building blocks. Within a short fast the production of human growth hormone increases by 1,500% repairing cells that make up our tissues (Villoldo, Alberto. One Spirit Medicine: Ancient Ways to Ultimate Wellness. 2015). Another benefit of intermittent fasting is the body utilizing it’s own fat stores as energy in a process called autolysis (Carroll Will, serendip.brynmawr.edu).
Sold yet? So once learning about this information I took it upon myself to give this form of dieting/lifestlye a try....Here's a little secret...I ain't looking back! I honestly fell in love with intermittent fasting. I have tried water fasts, and they suck. Yet intermittent fasting is different. So far I have been performing a daily 8-9 hour fast eating my first meal around 1-2pm. Since I've been inttermitent fasting my body fat percentage has been lower without dramatically restricting my caloric intake. It's been helping me save money on groceries (buying less food). Lastly I feel better and my body feels less taxed because it actually has time to digest food and detox itself.
Just like everything else, intermittent fasting might not work well for your body as it did mine. Everyone's body is different. If you're on the fence and not sure if you should try it, consult a knowledgable physican. Make sure they know about the pros and cons of fasting. From there you can weigh out the options and see what works best for you.
-"Keep on Keepin' on"
John D. Schaser